Sunday, July 29, 2007

NANA

I've just watched what I'd like to call one of the best movies I have ever seen! A lot of you may not like it because it is a foreign film but there's something about foreign films I love. NANA is based off of a manga by Ai Yazawa that I read in my subscriptions of Shojo Beat.
Here's a plot summary from Wikipedia since I suck at summaries >x<:

Nana Osaki is a punk singer who wants to debut as soon as possible to leave her ex-boyfriend, Ren Honjo, behind. Nana was the lead vocalist in their old band with Ren, and they lived together as lovers. When Ren was offered a chance to debut in Tokyo as a replacement member of the popular band TRAPNEST (TRANES for short), Nana chooses to cultivate her own band, BLACK STONES (BLAST for short) instead.

Nana Komatsu, the other Nana, is called Hachi as she has strong mental characteristics that resemble a little puppy. ("Hachikō" is the name of a famous dog in Japan, while, appropriately, "hachi" is the word for "eight" in Japanese, while "nana" is the word for "seven".) With a habit of falling in love at first sight, Hachi has always depended on other people to help her. When her friends and then boyfriend leave for Tokyo, she decide to join them a year later after she saved enough money.

Nana and Hachi meet in a train by chance, both on their way to Tokyo, and after a string of coincidences, they come to live together in an apartment numbered 707. Despite having contrasting characters and ideals, the Nanas like and respect each other.

While the BLACK STONES begin to gain popularity at live gigs, other issues need resolving, especially in the areas of romance. The story of Nana revolves heavily on the romance and relationships of the two characters as one seeks fame and recognition while the other seeks love and happiness.


I really love this movie and seriously recommend it to everyone (although its not for every one...) I pulled some clips off of youtube from the movie. The first one is the very beginning of NANA. The second one is Nana O.'s band, the Black Stones performing. The third one is probably my favorite part in the whole movie and I cried during it but I recommend watching the whole movie in order to get the full effect of the clip.
So...I just wanted to share a new obsession of mine :)
Lotsa Love,
A.Q.


The Beginning:




The Black Stones:




Farewell to Love:

3 comments:

Natsuko101 said...

*sigh* you and ur Nana, lol, alright ill give it a shot. I watched the begining, so ill continue, might i say its better than the manga, lol

Lily said...

wow all the useless anime/manga have they brainwashed you?

Lily said...

lol I"m funny ^-^